I traveled by plane last week and was amazed (and annoyed) by all the extra charges.
- $25 for an exit row seat (it has a couple extra centimeters of leg space).
- $25 dollars per suitcase.
- $8 for a bag of something salty.
- $3.50 for a personal bottled water. This was offered before the free water.
- $10 or $12 for an upgrade meal that came wrapped in gobs of plastic.
- $$ for the in-flight movie.
There has been talk about charging for blankets and bathroom visits, but luckily this hasn’t happened yet.
Why do I find these charges so annoying? Is it because flying is annoying enough without extra charges? Maybe. Or maybe I dislike paying for things that were previously free. Either way, I make a special effort to avoid all charges.
To avoid extra charges I…
- Pack light (I carry on my bags whenever possible, or I fly Southwest airlines where bags still fly free).
- Bring an empty water bottle and fill it once I’ve passed security.
- Bring plenty of snacks.
- Bring entertainment.
- Book an aisle seat. I like the possibility of maybe stretching my legs.
What do you think of the extra charges? I wonder what I will be charged for next? Air?